Shimeji Simulation: Manga Review/Reflection (Potential Spoilers!) (7/11/2024)

 Shimeji Simulation is a weird little manga. I mean, you can sort of understand what you are getting yourself into just from the very beginning. A girl who was a shut in for middle school decides to go to high school, and she also grows mushrooms on her head and she also becomes best friends with a girl who has a fried egg on her head.

Does any of this make sense? Not really. And honestly, many of the things in this manga are purposely meant to make no sense. Here come the spoilers now, although it's already in the title: these characters (probably) live in a simulation.

But that doesn't matter. What matters, ultimately, are the vibes of the manga. The story is there, sort of, if you search for it, but similar to a manga like Blame!, a lot of what I think this manga wants to be is just to be weird, nonsensical, and also have cutely drawn girls wander around this weird mess of a world.

Perhaps there is a lot that the author wanted to say with this manga. I personally am too lazy to go back through the manga and analyze it deeply for some deep hidden meanings. But, I think that the author also purposely made this manga bizarre as a way to encourage the reader just enjoy the vibes without thinking too hard.

If you are okay with slice of life, and you also accept this manga for what it is, then I think it's worth it to read it. It's boring, yet interesting if you look for it, and I think that dynamic was fun to have.

I'm giving this manga a 6/10. Not to say that it was bad or not a masterpiece (because this is one of those works where I truly think the author has to be extraordinary to make), but this manga is only what it is, and that is Shimeji Simulation. Give it a try if you're bored, I think that it is at least somewhat worth your time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Career: Where I've Been and Where I'll Be Going (8/10/2026)

Solanin: Five years later at 23 (3/22/2026)

Top Albums of 2025 (1/4/2026)