Top Albums of 2023 (3/26/2024)
2023 was a super weak year for music. I honestly didn't have any albums that I just completely loved, unlike basically every other year since I really started listening to albums and keeping up with new music. The best albums this year may be only like top 5 in any other year, and at the time of writing (late March 2023) there have already been around four albums released that I would put in the same tier or higher as all these albums on the list.
I don't even think enough albums this year deserved a top ten finish, so I narrowed it down to like seven entries, plus one honorable mention. I also combined EPs with LPs this year in order to make the list longer. Funnily enough, if you were to combined the lengths of the two EPs on this list, it still would barely be long enough to be considered an album.
Honorable Mention: Let's Start Here. by Lil Yachty
When this album was released, I was so excited for 2023. It was released early on into 2023, and it was honestly a very solid album, albiet a bit overhyped in the beginning, in my opinion. Lil Yachty goes in a completely new pysch rock direction here, and it's pretty good. That being said, this is an honorable mention because I honestly can't even remember the details about a lot of the songs here, and also Lil Yachty's voice just doesn't sound that good. the BLACK seminole. and drive ME crazy! are the two standouts, and they carry this album to my honorable mention finish.
7. comfortable silence by tomcbumpz
This "EP" is literally only 8 minutes long. It's just a collection of chill beats, and I truly wish it were just longer because this EP is a real treat to listen to. I guess the short length is also one of it's strengths, because it ends before anything gets boring. And also, the closing track close your eyes is absolutely one of my favorite songs now. It just makes me so happy. It's only so low because it's so short
6. Midnight Blue by Wendy Wander
A very solid third album by Wendy Wander. I really like the direction that they are heading in here, and although none of the songs here were completely standout to me overall the album was still very good. I'm still super excited for more Wendy Wander in the future.
5. Good Riddance by Gracie Adams
This was an alright album that I'm including on here because I loved the vibe. This album really made me start to like Gracie's music. All the songs do kind of sound the same, but it's in a good way. I loved listening to this to go to sleep or even just to relax. Standouts include Full Machine and Where do we go now?
4. UNDER THE ILLUSION by Sam Gelliatry
This EP took a little bit to get used to, but once I got listened to it enough this album really started to scratch an itch in my brain that I didn't know I had. Every song in here transitions into the other in a way that makes the DJ in me happy, and everything is just such a fun collection of noises. I'd love to go to a Sam Gelliatry concert one day.
3. UTOPIA by Travis Scott
I did not think I would like this album as much. I saw some Tiktoks kind of just comparing it to other Kanye music, and I also traditionally just did not like Travis' music that much. However, I gave it a try after hearing I KNOW ? and I did not regret it. The entire album is listenable in that it has no skips, but there are definetly a few songs that carry the album here. HYAENA is such a sick opener that I personally love because I first heard it in a breaking session. FE!N is still a hype standout, and of course I KNOW ? is a great song also. THANK GOD, MODERN JAM, DELRESTO (ECHOES), and CIRCUS MAXIMUS are also good songs. This album even made me want to go back and listen to Travis' old stuff, but I realize that I still don't like it that much.
2. Something To Give Each Other by Troye Sivan
Here we start to reach the two albums that I really liked this year. Traditionally, Troye Sivan hasn't actually made an album where every song on it is quality, until now. All the songs here are fun songs. I also like the overall just style of the album, which is sort of pop-housey-r&b ish. It's just really fun. I liked Rush, One Of Your Girls, Silly, and How To Stay With You.
1. Heaven Knows - pinkpantheress
And now we hit my favorite album of the year. I didn't even know that this album was coming out until it was released, but I was so pleasantly surprised. This is pinkpantheress from before, but better. I didn't super love her debut, but since then it has grown on me. This album is just that same style of music, but even better. I think I really liked every single song on this album. Go listen to it.
Comments
Post a Comment