Top Albums of 2025 (1/4/2026)

 Welcome to yet another year of my top albums of the year! Looking back, this year was a solid year for music, although I do admit I was disappointed by a couple of drops. I was also able to discover a lot of new artists this year however, and a majority of the albums on this list are from artists that I did not listen to before this year, which is always cool. Also, this list includes any longer form musical work, so it will include albums, EPs, and mixtapes.


Before the list, here are some honorable mentions:

Shelly 2 - Shelly

The only reason why this isn't on the list is because this actually wasn't an album, it was just two songs. Fortunately, these two songs are absolute giga bangers and were two of my favorite songs released this year. Go listen now!

Lotus - Little Simz / Balloonerism - Mac Miller

These two albums occupy the same space in my mind. They are both albums by very acclaimed artists, that felt like they were some sort of emotional release that they felt compelled to make, but the music itself just didn't click as well to me. They are still worth listening to, but I listened to each of them like three times and they quickly faded from my mind.

magic! - piri & tommy

This was a very fun little EP. All the songs are solid, but I didn't very much feel the need to listen to this EP that much. It's a collection of some cute songs, marking an interesting transition in piri & tommy's music by going in a bit more of a funky direction. Compared to the other albums on this list, however, the songs come off maybe a tad shallow. Still worth a listen just for some chill songs though!

Deadbeat - Tame Impala

Kevin has gotten a lot of hate for this album. Personally, while I do agree that this is one of his weaker projects, I also feel as though it remains underrated. I think it always takes a while to get used to Tame Impala's music, and there are absolutely highlights on this album. However, there is a bit of a dead stretch in the middle of the album, and I think generally speaking this album seems a bit more boring compared to what Kevin has put out in the past. I listened to this album a lot when it first came out, but since then I haven't felt the need to revisit it too much.

Rebel - EsDeeKid

Bangers after bangers after bangers. The vibe of Timothee Chalamet's supposed alter ego is sick, and his thick accent really adds some spice to each song. The criticism of each song being same-y is valid here, but each song on here doesn't overstay it's welcome and the album is short enough where it finishes before you feel tired of it all.


1. I Love My Computer - Ninajirachi

This was hands down my favorite album of 2025. It's this EDM album about growing up in the age of computers, which really resonated with me. Delete was one of my favorite songs this year, but there are many other standout songs in here as well. I do think that the beeps and boops music presented here isn't for everyone, but if it clicks to you and you are willing to look into the lyrics a bit, I think that this is very rewarding. I'll be following whatever Ninajirachi does here on out very closely.


2. First Works - 54 Ultra

This album sparked a whole phase of me listening to alt/indie/Latin soul type music. I love the vintage feel that 54 Ultra has going on, not just in the music but also in the way he looks and the way that the cover art is done for each single. I also love the idea that this EP was titled First Works, as if this was some sort of compilation album from this artist that was successful in the past. This EP keeps it short and sweet at only 17 minutes, and I think that it's music that's perfect for hanging out on a Saturday afternoon or for sipping a nice bev at a local artsy cafe.


3. Fancy That - Pink Pantheress

PinkPantheress just seems to get better every project. Although this is technically a mixtape, I'm counting this as an album because I honestly can not tell the difference. Every song on here is a banger and there are no skips. Very deserving of the third place spot.


4. Let God Sort Em Out - Clipse

Clipse had a very fun rollout of their album, and it helps that this album is actually also good. The beats are fun, the raps are strong, and this was one of my favorite albums to play at the gym this year. So Be It has my favorite beat in it of the whole year, with Pharrell sampling Maza Akoulo by Saudi Arabian musician Talal Maddah. Another standout was the opening track The Bird's Don't Sing, which is an homage to rap duo's parents after their deaths. I will say however, I felt a little bit tired of Pusha T rapping about cocaine and selling cocaine. I know that it's basically his thing, but damn dude find some other things to talk about, please.


5. Quit Quietly - Sunset Rollercoaster

A surprise release after their work on AAA with Hyukoh, Sunset Rollercoaster remains good at music. Although this album feels maybe a bit less thematic like some of their older albums, they have this romantic pop sound nailed to a tee. Every song on here is good, but they are also going for a much more chill vibe here, so don't expect any intensity that they may have displayed in the past on songs such as Levia or Candlelight. This was my favorite album to fall asleep to this year, or to listen to when I wanted to feel calm.


6. Face Down In The Garden - Tennis

Tennis is yet another artist that I discovered this year that I just love the vibe of. Tennis is comprised of a husband and wife duo that spends most of their time sailing across the American coast on their own yacht. This just so happens to also be their last album ever, so I'm a bit sad that I arrived to the party late, but this also happens to be my favorite album from theirs. They have this vintage 1970s pop feel that not only shows in their music, but also shows through their look with their hairdos. Their music also feels a bit melancholic, which fit perfect for me in the fall.


7. A Matter of Time - Laufey

This is Laufey's best album yet, and my favorite overall project of her since the Typical of Me EP. I have felt like each of Laufey's previous two albums have felt bloated before, but this album stays at a consistent quality throughout. Laufey also feels like she has had more fun experimenting here, and I think that it has paid off. She still retains the humor and orchestra instrumentation that I enjoyed a ton before, but each song here feels a bit more unique, unlike the older albums where songs started to blend together.


8. choke enough - Oklou

Although this released early this year, I only discovered this album in December, and I knew then it had to be on my top ten somewhere. This is a very strong vibes based album, and I'm finding it difficult to put together words in sentences to describe the whole thing, so I'll just list off some words here that I feel fit the album well: blue, floaty, dreamy, chilly, ethereal, cloudy, alluring. Go listen to the album and you'll see what I mean.


9. CRYSALIS - Jenevieve

Jenevieve has an amazing voice, and I mean amazing. This I already knew from some of her songs such as Baby Powder or Rendezvous. However, I've felt a lot in the past that much of her music just didn't click for me, especially with the production. That is not as much of an issue because on this album every song feels like pure serotonin to listen to. Something about the way her voice cuts through the rest of each song makes me feel so happy each time I listen to it.


10. the theory of you - ivri

ivri's debut marks this interesting change in her music to more of this rock vibe in songs such as tower of memories or slip & let go. She is still able to still display a bit of her lo-fi self in other songs such as nightosphere, but all together ivri has managed to build this vey interesting soundscape that reminds me strongly of the vibes of the manga The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún. There's almost this horror vibe here, which establishes this contrast with the softgirl vibes that ivri's voice gives. I didn't super mess with this album at first, but as time went on throughout the year I felt the need to listen to this album more and more and now I think it is completely deserving of being one of the better albums that came out this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Career: Where I've Been and Where I'll Be Going (8/10/2026)

Solanin: Five years later at 23 (3/22/2026)

Ranking all of John Mayer's Albums (9/1/2021)